Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Strategies for addressing problems with assignment questions

What do you do when you run into assignmnet questions that you just can't figure out?

In my experience, this scenario often makes for quite an awkward session. I typically start by quietly puzzling out the assignment question, indicating my confusion to see whether the student has found the instructor to be any clearer in class discussions. If the student doesn't have a clearer idea of what his or her task is, I proceed by hedging my suggestions because of my uncertainty about the required task and reiterating encouragements that the student ask for clarification. I try to do all of this while trying to remain completely respectful of the assignment, the instructor, and the course.

After sessions like this, I typically walk away with concerns about the usefulness of my suggestions and what the student will say to the instructor about what I might have accidentally verbalized about the horrifying assignment question.

In cases where assignments are vaguely worded or even contradictory, or when the required task seems to be too ambitious for the stipulated page length and project guidlines, how do we provide feedback?

How do we avoid critiquing the assignment or questioning its usefulness?

How do we remain completely respectful of the assignment, the instructor, and the course?

No comments: